What do they mean when the drug (meth) delivery was for

Customer Question
What do they mean...

What do they mean when the drug (meth) delivery was for consideration?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was charged with a delivery of meth along with my boyfriend who took the charge for me. (we thoutght) supposityly it was a controlled buy.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do they need more?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/7/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

The Oregon legislature has not defined the term "consideration" as it relates to the sale, or attempted sale of drugs. Instead, the term consideration has a well-defined legal meaning under contract law. The plain, legal meaning of consideration is “[t]he inducement to a contract. The cause, motive, price, or impelling influence which induces a contracting party to enter into a contract. Some right, interest, profit or benefit accruing to one party, or some forbearance, detriment, loss, or responsibility, given, suffered, or undertaken by the other.” Black’s Law Dictionary 306 (6th ed 1990); see also Moro v. State of Oregon, 357 Or 167, 196 n 18, 351 P3d 1 (2015) (“‘Consideration’ is that which one party provides to the other in exchange for entering into [a] contract.”); Restatement (Second) of Contracts § 71 (1981) (consideration is a “performance or return promise” that is “bargained for,” meaning that it is “sought by the promisor in exchange for his promise and is given by the promisee in exchange for that promise”).

In terms of criminal cases involving the alleged sale of drugs, a delivery of drugs “was for consideration” if the defendant was induced to deliver drugs, i.e., he or she engaged in an actual, attempted, or constructive transfer of the drugs to another person, in exchange for some benefit from or detriment incurred by another person, e.g., a payment or a promise of payment.

Please let me know if I may clarify anything or provide additional information. Thank you.