My father in law was intoxicated to the point of incoherence…

Customer Question
My father in law...

My father in law was intoxicated to the point of incoherence and a paramedic and police officer were called to help him the paramedic was advised by the police to put him on a stretcher and the paramedic refused and ended up getting punched in the face by my father in law. my father in law has no recollection of these events and is being charged with assault on a paramedic is there anything that we can do for him

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

It happend in missouri on january third

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He was arrested and held over night and released on a signature bond im not sure about anything else

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i dont believe so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

I would suggest finding a local criminal attorney who can help you with this situation. While your father-in-law may not have known what he was doing, a court will hold people responsible for their actions if they voluntarily got that drunk that they don't remember what they did. It's sort of the same reason that people get in trouble for drinking while driving even if they don't remember deciding to drive while drunk.

Now if the paramedic decided to sue your father in law in a civil suit, he might have a potential defense in that the paramedic was negligent for not putting your father in law in a stretcher, but that is separate from the criminal charges, and the paramedic's negligence won't be a defense in a criminal trial.

thank you

You are welcome. Please remember to provide a positive rating at the top of your screen so I get credit for helping you today!

Please provide a positive rating before you leave.