I got married on 20 Dec 2017. This was definitely a mistake.

Customer Question
I got married on 20...
I got married on 20 Dec 2017. This was definitely a mistake. He is an alcoholic and I can't stand him. I married him because I felt sorry for him. His had just passed and I thought it would help ease his mind because he has beenbeggingme for overa year.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I have read your post. How can I assist you? What state are you in?

Richland County, Columbia, SC

what is your legal question?

I was married on 20 Dec 2017. I want an annulment. How should I proceed?

Okay. Were you married in Columbia as well?

big mistake.

Got it. Here is a helpful site on annulments:

https://marriage.laws.com/marriage/annulment-of-marriage-in-south-carolina

You need to file the annulment papers with the clerk of court in Richland County and pay the fiing fee.

You will have to show a basis for annulment in your petition.

Obtaining an annulment in North Carolina involves submitting a petition to the district court in your county. You must provide your reason, or grounds. The court will determine if your marriage is either void or voidable, both of which are conditions for annulment. If the court annuls your marriage, it's treated as though it never occurred. If you don't qualify for an annulment and you want to end the marriage, you will have to file for divorce instead. If issues such as property division must be resolved, the court will render a decision on these matters as well.

I live in SC

My apologies. Give me a minute to get the correct site

South Carolina Law provides for several specific circumstances under which the family law court will grant an annulment. Most marriages will not meet these specialized criteria, but your may qualify under one of the grounds based on what you told me.

Fraud - A marriage that has occurred under fraudulent terms can be annulled in South Carolina.

Mental Incapacity of you or your husband -If you or your spouse were suffering from any type of legally recognized form of mental incapacitation at the time of the union the marriage contract would be void for lack of consent.

Duress - If you or your spouse were suffering from any type of legally recognized form of mental incapacitation at the time of the union the marriage contract would be void for lack of consent.

You may actually have a combination of these grounds.

You will need to be able to prove these claims in court.