I sold my 50% ownership in a company on December 31st, to my…

I sold my 50%...

I sold my 50% ownership in a company on December 31st, to my partner. We have 300,000. In our checking account as of December 31st. Legally, 50% of that is mine. Correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what that means

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

1/6/2018
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

What type of entity is it, an LLC, corporation, partnership?

SCorp

So assuming you sold all your shares to your partner and he owns 100% and your sale agreement did not specify anything about the company assets then no, it is the Company that owns the $300k in the account...not either of you personally.

Had the company paid dividends or something on the 31st, yes you would be entitled to 50% of the dividends.

Please kindly rate the question so I may be credited. Thank you. You can still ask follow-up questions.

DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer