Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Do you have to legally have proof of registration and

Customer Question
Do you have to...

Do you have to legally have proof of registration and insurance when getting your car out of impound? And if you can't get your registration cuz it's the weekend and you lost it is there any other way of showing them without showing registration to get the vehicle so you don't continue to get charged days impound.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Is a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and is in Council Bluffs Iowa 51503

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It was towed from my apartment. When you say filed or reported what do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Each impound lot has its own rules as far as what they require in order to allow a car out of their lot - but it's very typical to require both proof of registration and insurance before a car is released.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm unable to find the registration at this time I believe it was lost I do not want to continue to get charged for the days my car sits in there if I can get it out but it being the weekend I don't know how to go about getting registration I don't want to cause that to end up having more fees when I'm already tied up and not with tow fees so if you had any advice I would greatly appreciate it

Have you gone to the County Treasurer's Office to request a copy?

This is the information from the DMV on replacing it: https://www.dmv.com/ia/iowa/replace-vehicle-registration

Tina, Lawyer