Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I got a few questions. Houston, Texas but I have another…

Customer Question
I got a few...

I got a few questions

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Houston, Texas but I have another child in arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have temporary hearing coming up for child support on the second kid

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ok

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Roger, Attorney
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I’ll be glad to assist. Let me know your question and I will be glad to respond. Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My question is how much is child support on a second child from a different mother
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

I see you requested a new professional.

Here is the statute that governs children in different households with an explanation to follow:

Sec. 154.128. COMPUTING SUPPORT FOR CHILDREN IN MORE THAN ONE HOUSEHOLD. (a) In applying the child support guidelines for an obligor who has children in more than one household, the court shall apply the percentage guidelines in this subchapter by making the following computation:

(1) determine the amount of child support that would be ordered if all children whom the obligor has the legal duty to support lived in one household by applying the schedule in this subchapter;

(2) compute a child support credit for the obligor's children who are not before the court by dividing the amount determined under Subdivision (1) by the total number of children whom the obligor is obligated to support and multiplying that number by the number of the obligor's children who are not before the court;

(3) determine the adjusted net resources of the obligor by subtracting the child support credit computed under Subdivision (2) from the net resources of the obligor; and

(4) determine the child support amount for the children before the court by applying the percentage guidelines for one household for the number of children of the obligor before the court to the obligor's adjusted net resources.

(b) For the purpose of determining a child support credit, the total number of an obligor's children includes the children before the court for the establishment or modification of a support order and any other children, including children residing with the obligor, whom the obligor has the legal duty of support.

(c) The child support credit with respect to children for whom the obligor is obligated by an order to pay support is computed, regardless of whether the obligor is delinquent in child support payments, without regard to the amount of the order.

Basically the court will deduct the first support order from the available income and calculate the guideline amount based on that reduced income.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.154.htm

There is a more common, alternative method:

Sec. 154.129. ALTERNATIVE METHOD OF COMPUTING SUPPORT FOR CHILDREN IN MORE THAN ONE HOUSEHOLD. In lieu of performing the computation under the preceding section, the court may determine the child support amount for the children before the court by applying the percentages in the table below to the obligor's net resources:

MULTIPLE FAMILY ADJUSTED GUIDELINES

(% OF NET RESOURCES)

Number of children before the court

(###) ###-####/p>

Number of020.0025.0030.0035.0040.0040.0040.00

other117.5022.5027.3832.2037.3337.7138.00

children for216.0020.6325.2030.3335.4336.0036.44

whom the314.7519.0024.0029.0034.0034.6735.20

obligor413.6018.3323.1428.0032.8933.6034.18

has a513.3317.8622.5027.2232.0032.7333.33

duty of613.1417.5022.0026.6031.2732.0032.62

support713.0017.2221.6026.0930.6731.3832.00

So in the second scenario the obligor would be required to pay 17.5% of net income to the second child.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer