Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received a letter regarding a wire transfer from Great…

Customer Question
I received a letter...

I received a letter regarding a wire transfer from Great ScotLand Yard saying that I need to pay for a copy of valid Final Clearance Order and the cost of that is $3,750 that must be paid prior to receiving a wire transfer for a friend. How do I find out if this is a scam?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Arizona. The wire is coming from London, UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just trying to determine if this is a internet scam

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/6/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Did you have a friend that you personally know (not over the internet) contact you regarding a wire transfer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no. He purchased then sold jewelry while in Turkey
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Thank you;

generally the FTC advises against international transactions with third parties that are not known personally to the individual.

Wire scams are common;

please see:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/08/avoiding-money-wiring-scams

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/western-union-settlement-faqs

Furthermore I could find no legitimate source that a "final clearance order" is required for a wire transfer.

Normally the fees to be paid are to the wire transfer company and also possibly duty fees to the importing country.

The FTC advises strongly against sending money to unknown entities.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are most welcome.

Further questions? Please post here.

Otherwise kindly rate 5 stars, thank you!

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer