I had a painting crew paint my daughters house a couple of…

Customer Question
I had a painting...

I had a painting crew paint my daughters house a couple of months ago. They did the worst job I’ve ever seen possible. There were runs everywhere paint rolled up onto the crown molding, paint splatters all over the floors I could not have done a worse job. Starting out I paid this contractor $4000 to get started. Couple days into this I wanted to let him go. I was advised that we had to give him every opportunity to make the job right. The more he painted the worse it got. He was wanting a draw for that weeks work. He told me he was finished with the back half of the house and would be finished with the master bedroom, bathroom and closet. This was to include walls ceiling crown molding trim work. He wanted a check for over $7000. My daughter and I went back over to check out the work again and he had lied. Nothing had been completed my daughter told me to stop payment on the check and to let him go, which I did. I have all kinds of documentation and pictures to show that awful work he did. He is suing us for the $7000, interests, and filing fees. He just recently put a lien on my daughter and son-in-law‘s house. No attorney wants to take the case because there is so little money involved. What I am wondering is can I get This into court without an attorney? I am in desperate need of some help here. Thank you, ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This into court without an attorney? I am in desperate need of some help here. Thank you, ***** ***** Lafayette, Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Lafayette, Louisiana The lien has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The lien has been filed I wouldn’t at this time he even know what to ask

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. first, you have a negligence claim against the painter for poor work. He is not entitled to be paid and should pay you for the cost to repaint the house. You can either sue him now in county court (city court, parish court) or wait until he tries to enforce his lien and countersue him for damages.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept my responses and post a positive rating.

Do I have to have an attorney represent me to file this claim or can I just do this on my own?

You can hire an attorney or you can file the complaint yourself (pro se).