I had an interview with a company that my fiancé told me was…

Customer Question
I had an interview...

I had an interview with a company that my fiancé told me was a pyramid scheme so I chose not to take the job. They then notified me I needed to chelp me pick up a commission check. I showed up told them I sold nothing and they laughed shook my hand and told me it must have been a mistake but to take the money. Now they’re telling me they want the money back. Do I have to give it back?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but one guy called me and left a message I didn’t return then the guy who gave me the check told me if I didn’t pay it back soon they’d take it to small claims court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so no

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you did nothing t earn the money you probably owe it back to them. BUT if it was more than an interview, for exaple if you went through any training program, then you do not. OR if the company told you it was a recruitment bonus for interviewing you do not.

In any event if you choose not to pay them back and they take you to small claims court, make sue that you file a response to the complaint in court. Also make sure that you attend the court on the scheduled date. If you lose it is easy to appeal to the next trial level court AND the plaintiff has to star all over at the next level. This gives you some negotiation leverage.

So if you want you can negotiate returning them a lesser amount. If you do return the money or negotiate a lesser amount make sure that you get a signed release from them.

Here are samples:

https://legaltemplates.net/form/release-of-liability-waiver/

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/form/release-of-liability.rl?stickyTrack=wF1yNma9#/

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald