I live in Connecticut and want to know if I can have a

Customer Question
I live in Connecticut...

I live in Connecticut and want to know if I can have a residential dog kennel. Do I need a kennel license and is there a limit on how many dogs I can have. Right now I have 12 dogs as my pets.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/6/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is***** am an attorney. I am reviewing your questions.

You have to check first to see if the zoning in your municipality permits it. If so, you can maintain a commercial kennel after obtaining a license from the DoAg commissioner (CGS § 22-344(a)). DoAg will issue a license to an applicant upon written application and payment of a $200 fee if the applicant complies with applicable state regulations and municipal zoning regulations. Licenses are renewable annually.

The number of dogs you can own depends on the zoning in your municipality also. In some municipalities, in order to keep more than six dogs over six months old, the parcel of land must be located in the Residential Design District Zone, be at least five acres, and the owner must apply for a Special Permit from the Planning and Zoning Regulations.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Hello again:

I want to provide you a helpful link about the Dog Kennal laws in Connecticut.

Here is the link:

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0429.htm

Also, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Response was very good. I am concerned about dogs that are pets and are kept in a residential home above 12 dogs on a piece of property in Stamford CT that is less than 1/2 acre

Glad my response was very good.

With regard to your concern about your pets. What are your municipality and county? Possibly, I can search to see if there is an ordinance addressing the issue or no ordinance at all.

Are you still looking for help? I was going to check on an ordinance for you. I just need the town and county.

The location is*****, Stamford, Connecticut (Fairfield, CT) the location is owned by Jeffrey Kline and Sherry Garofalo-Kline. They have over 12 small dogs as pets and one mix pit bull. The neighbors have complained to them re barking but the Klines said that they or the wife have a kennel license as well as licenses for each of the dogs.

Here is what Connecticut law says:

Sec. 22-363. Nuisance. No person shall own or harbor a dog or dogs which is or are a nuisance by reason of vicious disposition or excessive barking or other disturbance, or, by such barking or other disturbance, is or are a source of annoyance to any sick person residing in the immediate vicinity. Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction for the first offense and a class D misdemeanor for each subsequent offense and the court or judge may make such order concerning the restraint or disposal of such dog or dogs as may be deemed necessary.