Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is this confidential? Your website was helpful! Stateside. I…

Is this confidential? Lawyer's...

Is this confidential?

Lawyer's Assistant: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Military Lawyer's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.

Thank You! your website was helpful!

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a Navy SELRES O-3 and I met someone that I am interested in Dating. She is AD Air Force, but I found out she is enlisted. She is not in my chain of command and not even on the same base. Since I met her in a civilian capacity, will this still be considered fraternization? Thank you for your help!

1/6/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

As long as she is not under your command or within your chain of command, the UCMJ would not prohibit this type of relationship, especially since she is in a completely different service as well.

So since you have no possibility of control over her, there is not going to be a violation of the fraternization regulations. Under Article 134, the hardest thing for them to prove is "That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces." So, for this reason you would not be violating Article 134.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You!

Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney