What can you do if your lawyer was handling a medical

Customer Question
What can you do...

What can you do if your lawyer was handling a medical malpractice lawsuit for you, and the case was seemingly dismissed. The lawyer never notified me of the case being dismissed, and was still scheduling meetings and talking to me about "next steps" and now i'm unsure of the status of my case and what can i do to recover the money i've lost to the firm that was representingme

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?

Tennessee, and i don't currently have copies but i can get them

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The firm contacted me to let me know that the lawyer checked himself into a hospital for psychiatric care and that the case may have been dismissed a year ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You would need to retain the services of an Attorney who handles legal malpractice cases to review the case and see if the firm can be pursued for mishandling your case.

At a minimum, the law firm must know whether or not your case is still active and if not, if the case can be reinstated. Being vague about the status of your case is not an option. The law firm MUST have concrete information regarding the status of your case.

You should also go to the Courthouse if you can to review the docket and see exactly what has transpired in your case. You need to make complete copies of the docket for your records and o give to an Attorney who would be handling the legal malpractice case on your behalf. If your case has indeed been dismissed and the Statute of Limitations has run in your case thereby forever barring you from bringing the lawsuit, then the law firm would be held liable for the action of the Attorney.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle legal malpractice cases:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.