If i was in contract with someone and didnt complete the…

Customer Question
If i was in...

If i was in contract with someone and didnt complete the project on the contactual agreed date but yet finished it on the actual due date of when it really needed to be completed and the client accepted it now almost 6 months later they want to sue what are their chances of winning such a case

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as of yet to my knowledge verbal threats

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not initially

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your contractual law question today.

I'm attorney Bill assisting you. Contracts often do contain clauses in relation to completion times, time of the essence clauses,and liquidated damages clauses for breach of contract.

Georgia law recognizes actual damages resulting from the breach rather than punitive damages : "Damages recoverable for a breach of contract are such as arise naturally and according to the usual course of things from such breach and such as the parties contemplated, when the contract was made, as the probable result of its breach"

If the client suffered no damages from the late completion then suing you will be difficult.

I would need to examine your contract further to examine the provision for liquidated damages, they could violate policy where the damages are not reflective of actual damages:

"O.C.G.A. 13-6-7 (2010)
13-6-7. Damages and expenses recoverable -- Liquidated damages generally

If the parties agree in their contract what the damages for a breach shall be, they are said to be liquidated and, unless the agreement violates some principle of law, the parties are bound thereby."

We are here to help, so please follow up with me as required.

An additional contract review is possible, just let me know; it would be an extra service.

In relation to my answer remember to rate positively today., this is how I get a credit for my time assisting you.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Dear Customer ,

I recently posted a response to your question, did this answer your question ?

If you need additional support you can follow up with me attorney Bill.

Your positive feedback is much appreciated and gives me a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or accept.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer