Just found out that U.S. Social Security Chequers of

Customer Question
Just found out that...

Just found out that U.S. Social Security Chequers of deceased person are being cashed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Person lives in Canada and person entitled to payments worked in Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure about U.S. Canadian taxes have been finalized.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/6/2018
Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 7 months ago
John, Attorney

Well, that's blatant social security fraud. Did you have a specific question on the matter? It may very well be that the person is entitled to benefits based on the wage earners work record (such as the spouse of a deceased wage earner), but they cannot just keep the wage earner's funds after death; that SS account must be closed.