My grandson lives in my house. I caught him with marijuana…

Customer Question
My grandson lives in...

My grandson lives in my house. I caught him with marijuana and took it away. Is it against the law for me to allow a 14 almost 15 year old to use marijuana in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know my legal status concerning a minor in my house using marijuana. Can I get into trouble

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help, give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear this situation.

Yes, by knowingly allowing your minor grandson to use marijuana you could pontentially be criminally charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

This is a misdemeanor offense, punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2500.

Also likely would be that your grandson would be charged with the possession of marijuana, which would be a misdemeanor offense and could result in a criminal record for him.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones