I am a victim of fraud and cheating what to do. Antioch, ca.

Customer Question
I am a victim...

I am a victim of fraud and cheating what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Antioch, ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have hired license contractor he took money and did not complete work

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your question for us regarding this matter?

Have you reported them to the contractor license board?

no

Thank you for your reply.

First step is to report them to the contractor license board and pursue a complaint there. That does not require you hiring a local attorney. At the same time, you can report this to the police for theft by fraud, since he took money to do the work and never did so. It is up to the police to decide if criminal charges will be pursued or to send you to civil court.

If the contractor board cannot resolve the matter, then you would have to get a local attorney to sue the contractor in court for damages including up to triple damages if you prove fraud/unfair and deceptive practices. If your total claim is less than $10,000 you do not need an attorney and you could sue in small claims court without an attorney.

Those are your options available for pursuing this claim.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney