I am looking for a lawyer who specializes in pharmacy law,

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for a lawyer who specializes in pharmacy law, in particular ownership. I own a pharmacy and currently in a dispute with a partner.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I am the legal owner of the business. This individual became a partner because my business was failing back in 2016 and he approached me about helping me get my business off the ground. He helped me pay the back rent owed to my landlord.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I added this gentleman as a Managing Officer of my pharmacy back in February 2017 with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. He is a pharmacist too. I received a letter in December 2017 from the board stating there is a Disciplinary Action against my pharmacy because this pharmacist has an extensive record of disciplinary actions against him for selling promethazine/codeine on the street. (He has a felony)

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Since this pharmacist helped me get my business off the ground by helping me with the back rent, is he considered a legal partner. I am legally the owner of the pharmacy. If something happens, I am the only one liable. His name is ***** ***** anything but the lease agreement.

I see what you mean. So, generally, partners in a business are generally defined as two people engaged in a business for profit. There does not need to be a written agreement; rather it's just actions that a court would consider in terms of determining whether people are partners. If one person helps a business owner pay back creditors, that does not automatically create a partnership. At most, it is either a gift or a loan, but it doesn't create a partnership. Accordingly, there is no partnership based on the facts that you provided.

How else can I help you today?

I am seeking a lawyer who can help me resolve this pharmacy ownership issue. What type of lawyer do I need? I'm searching online and need the correct terminology.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Texas LRS - click here. Texas requires a small fee, but it's usually worth it. You'll want to look for a business attorney or a small business attorney. Most any attorney, except for those who deal with immigration, criminal law, military law, or family law, can help you out.

How else can I help you today?

You have been very helpful. Thank You and God Bless

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer