I have been trying to get my ex spouse retirement benefit…

Customer Question
I have been trying...

I have been trying to get my ex spouse retirement benefit and I am told that I already have it. 6 Years ago when I lost my 2nd husband I was told I could collect on my 1st husband if I was divorced or my present husband had passed away. I was told 6 years ago that I would receive $1800 back pay and 800 a month. 2 weeks later I was told I did not qualify. I know my ex had remarried to Barbara Pert and after 10 years she divorced him and started drawing his retirement on social security. I was still married at the time so I could not file then but I went back to see

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have filed 6 years ago and been over to Las Cruces personally 2 more times and was told I did not qualify. I was married to my first husband for 17 years the longest of any of his 2nd and 3rd wife .

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I have again contacted the Las Cruces office and they first said I did qualify now they tell me that I already have $80 that I am getting. If that is what they are calling my cola I am still getting what I got 2 years ago and I did not receive a cola this year. The other thing I am concerned about is when I applied for a Sears credit card they told me that a person in Madison Wisconsin has my social security number and I am wondering if that has anything to do with me getting or receiving my benefits.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is the reason they are giving you for the denial of your right to collect?