I recently sold a business and the new owner signed a new…

Customer Question
I recently sold a...

I recently sold a business and the new owner signed a new lease with the landlord. The landlord is refusing to refund the deposit of $1200. I also overpaid the rent for the a period of 22 months. There is a clause in the lease that states if the rent is not submitted on the 1st day of the month then there will be a $100 late fee. The landlord is claiming I was late basically every month however I have canceled checks the prove otherwise. The landlord owes me a balance of $3523.80. What are my options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Utah. The new lease was signed on 12/13/17

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. The landlord has not been responsive so I'm trying to find the best way to approach the issue before I attempt to contact him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think thats pretty much it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

No I’ll wait for reply.
By the way the were 2 checks where the dates were altered.

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract if they are not returning the deposit and if you have evidence that they have no legal authority to do such a thing. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?