I am founder of a tax-exempt federally recognized church…

I am founder of...

I am founder of a tax-exempt federally recognized church whose religious focus is exclusively based on biological females. I've been researching to confirm that we are exempt from anti-discrimination laws in the state of Michigan that would require us to admit males who gender-identify as women as members. I am looking for a definitive answer, believing that we do have the right to have our Church members and religious services for female persons. I realize that this is a sticky wicket these days. We support anti discrimination laws for transgender people in the secular world, but our Church cosmology and practices are based in biology being important. Can you help me? Thank you!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan. However we also have branches of our Church in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Do you mean, any complaints? if this is what you mean, then no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess I'm confused about state's rights on these issues considering separation of church and state to me should cross state lines...

1/5/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

As a private non-profit religious organization, you are exempt from the anti-discrimination laws regarding your membership based on your sincerely ***** ***** beliefs. You are not talking about employment, where employment discrimination laws can apply although you have a right to give preference to members of your religious group, this is a group membership issue and as a private religious entity you are allowed to select your members based on biological gender and there are no laws that would prevent you from doing just that.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.