Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was recently diagnosed with cancer. We had not shared this…

Customer Question
I was recently diagnosed...

I was recently diagnosed with cancer. We had not shared this information with anyone. Some how my sister learned about my condition. Non of her business. We believe someone from another office divulged this information to my brother-in-law. Is there anything I can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in WA. Office that we believe leaked information is in Florida and my sister lives in Nevada.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Yoru question was : " Is there anything I can do?"

The only thing you can do in such a situation is to file a complaint for violations of HIPAA. This can be filed with your state's Attorney General, the licensing agency for whoever revealed the information, or the Department of Health and Human Services.

Unfortunately, while you can file the complaint, the courts have ruled that a lawsuit cannot be brought by an individual and the individual cannot recover any type of damages due to the disclosure.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney