I HAVE ACCIDENTLY SIGNED UP WITH 2 COMPUTER SUPPORT GROUPS…

Customer Question
I HAVE ACCIDENTLY SIGNED...

I HAVE ACCIDENTLY SIGNED UP WITH 2 COMPUTER SUPPORT GROUPS TO FIX COMPUTER. ONE IS OFFERING 7 YEARS SUPPORT ETC. THE OTHER GROUP IS TELLING ME THAT THAT IS ILLEGAL. WHAT'S THE TRUTH?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TEXAS

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NOT BY ME

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO DO

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. How did you learn about these two support companies? Was there a pop-up on your screen claiming your computer was infected and giving you a number to call? Or did they make unsolicited contact with you and tell you that your computer was hacked or compromised. Did you give either of these companies remote access to your computer?

both had free access. I found ADV SOFT LLC--Called AT&T, asked for tech support and they recommended this company. they put me on hold and thought I was being referred to another tech and it was another group...not sure what had happened, but ended with other tech support. AT & T referred me, as they determined my computer had been hacked-someone trying to make several calls to Mexico and Portirico

To clarify, you called AT&T for tech support for your computer? Why? Do they provide your internet access? Are you sure you dealt with the real AT&T?

The reason I am asking questions is that there is a well-known computer scam out there and I see some red flags in your fact pattern that makes me think that one or both of the companies you dealt with may be computer tech scammers. It's not illegal to offer an extended computer protection plan, however, it is a feature of the scam. Here's how it works, with minor variations:

Typically, the scam begins when you receive unsolicited contact from a computer tech company. It may be a phone call or you may see a pop-up on your screen warning you of malware in your computer and telling you to contact Microsoft or Apple or Macafee or what have you at a number that isn't theirs at all, as it turns out. They just use the name to get you to trust them so that you will grant them remote access to your computer.

If you google "computer tech scam" you'll see lots of fraud reports on companies who do this sort of thing. And the Federal Trade Commission has been working hard to find and stop these tech scammers.

What these computer tech fraudsters do is take a perfectly healthy computer and charge you a very hefty fee for a lifetime computer protection plan and then install software that actually creates new problems for you. The scam is all about getting you to give them more and more money for problems that they are creating with their remote access.

Or, it could be even worse than that:

if you also let them into your computer, they also can hack your computer and commit identity theft. They can plant malware that logs your keystrokes and gets your passwords and they can break into your financial accounts.

If this sounds familiar to you and if you installed their software or gave them remote access, then your computer's security is at risk and so are all of your accounts in your computer. If that's your situation, you need to take precautions against identity theft by having a verified professional tech -- someone you actually know in the community, such as a tech person in your local computer shop -- debug it. Then you need to change all of your pin numbers and passwords.

If you paid them by credit card, you would also want to cancel that card and open up a new one.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.