I am going to Lima Peru from Indianapolis Monday. I will be…

Customer Question
I am going to...

I am going to Lima Peru from Indianapolis Monday. I will be staying with my nephew whose step-daughter is trying to get into MIT, and needs a special kind of yeast for me to take down to her. She said that I should put it in a thermos with dry ice. I would carry it in my suitcase. Can I do that? I am nervous but my nephew made it sound like I was going to be carrying tennis balls. Help!!!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Indiana and will fly from Indiana to Ft Lauderdale, change airlines and then fly to Lima Peru.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. And I don't know exactly what you mean.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The yeast has not yet arrived by mail. It has to be here by Sat or this becomes a mute question. And I was only asked this last night. Thanks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
1/5/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

TSA does not have an advisory specific to yeast, but does allow for dry food items; please see:

Frozen Food

Meat, seafood, vegetables and other non-liquid food items are permitted in both carry-on and checked bags. If the food is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/printable

also:

Spices (dry)

Solid food items (not liquids or gels) can be transported in either your carry-on or checked bags. Liquid or gel food items larger than 3.4 oz are not allowed in carry-on bags and should be placed in your checked bags if possible.

Here is the rule regarding dry ice:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=13

Dry ice

Carbon dioxide, solid, 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs) or less, when used to pack perishables

Quantity limit: 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs) per package and per passenger.

Airline approval is required.

Packages must NOT be air tight and must allow the release of carbon dioxide gas.

When in checked baggage, the package must be marked "Dry ice" or "Carbon dioxide, solid" and marked with the net quantity of dry ice, or an indication that it is 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs) or less.

See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(10)

Tip: Additional non-hazardous ice packs (blue ice, gel packs, etc.) can be used to supplement the dry ice. However, for carry-on baggage, if the product contains any liquid or gel in excess of 100 ml (3.4 oz) per container, the TSA security rules require that the product be in the frozen state (i.e., solid) when the passenger goes through security screening.

Please note that airline approval is required so it would be necessary to contact the individual airline to determine their policy.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Thanks, ***** ***** I have to have airline permission and that could take forever, especially since I have to use two airlines. That is not your problem, so I think you did the best you could. If you have a special phone number to cut through the red tape for Southwest and Jet Blue, please let me know. Other than that five stars.

Let me see; just a few minutes please.

Here is SW's policy per their site:

Dry ice/carbon dioxide may be used as a refrigerant for perishables under the following limitations:

• Dry ice/carbon dioxide may not weigh more than 5.5 pounds in checked or carryon baggage.
  • The package must be designed to permit the release of carbon dioxide gas to prevent buildup of pressure.
  • The outside of the container must be marked "dry ice" or "carbon dioxide solid." The net weight of the dry ice and the contents of the package must also be shown. A Southwest Airlines Dry Ice Label (WN-659) may be used to meet these marking requirements.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Traveling-with-perishables/m-p/63512

Jet blue:

Dry ice will be accepted within carry-on or checked baggage if the dry ice is contained in a package that (a) allows the release of carbon dioxide, (b) is plainly marked with the words “dry ice” or “carbon dioxide solid” together with the net weight of the dry ice and the name of the contents being cooled, and (c) the package contains less than five and a half (5.5) pounds of dry ice. Selfheating meals will be accepted within carry-on or checked baggage; however activation and use of self-heating meals will be prohibited onboard the aircraft

https://www.jetblue.com/p/jetblue_coc.pdf

Enjoy your trip and your family!

I thought this was a $5 one time thing but it looks like they might charge me a lot more. I want to stay away from that.Thanks for the information.

You are welcome.

I don't have access to your account as I am an individual contributor but customer service can help

ww2.justanswer.com/help

Thank you!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer