Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What happens in a small claims/eviction when a defendant is…

Customer Question
What happens in a...

What happens in a small claims/eviction when a defendant is not properly served the summons papers

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed as of Dec 11th

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The court does not have jurisdiction until the defendant is properly served.

code 801.11 addresses proper service; please see:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/801/11

instructions on service here:

https://www.wicourts.gov/formdisplay/SC-6050V_instructions.pdf?formNumber=SC-6050V&formType=Instructions&formatId=2&language=en

If the service is not proper the defendant may bring a motion to quash service -however if that is being used as a delay tactic and the landlord has a strong case against the defendant and is likely to prevail, this may result in additional legal fees to the defendant since the court may award the prevailing party legal fees and court costs.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Here is a guide that may come in handy for landlord/tenancy issues in general.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer