I had to sign a lease for my apartment in Phoenix Arizona. I…

Customer Question
I had to sign...

I had to sign a lease for my apartment in Phoenix Arizona. I states that they are going to charge $50 each time we need something repaired! Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/5/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hello, thank you very much for your patience on this. Over the past week, I have had some trouble with the internet, but it has been fixed permanently. I'm very sorry for the six day wait; please know that this is highly unusual and I would love to do nothing more than to get back down to business with you.

So, the answer to your question is yes, this is illegal for them to charge you each time something needs to be repaired. Landlords are required by law to keep the place in habitable condition. Part of your rent goes to help keep the place in habitable condition. An additional charge is not okay because they had a pre-existing duty to make those repairs.