Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Someone from the UK is threatening a defamation lawsuit over…

Someone from the UK...

Someone from the UK is threatening a defamation lawsuit over a youtube video in which nothing was said about this person. I live in the US. What is the jurisdiction? US or UK?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state you're in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She sent and email (yes, I'm laughing) Dear *****I have been pointed in the direction of the video you published titled, The Sad Reality of Page Stuffing on Amazon. You state on that page that during the video you say "I'll describe the way scammers swindle money out of other authors' pockets and Amazon lets them get away with it despite it being specifically against their Terms of Service." "Your Video"My Claim against You
Your Video contains serious, untrue and highly defamatory comments towards me, some of which contain malicious falsehood. In doing so, defamatory comments are being communicated to thousands of people throughout the world, posing a serious threat to my reputation.These comments seem designed to damage my reputation in the market place and divert business away from me rather than have any fair comment basis.In particular Your Video specifically show the books of these scammers alongside other books. In EACH case, when a book appears on your screen that you don't think is a scammer, you say so. EXCEPT that at 12.10 where you refer to the books on screen as trash. At this point there are three books on screen. One is a Alexa Riley book which you say isn't a scam. You don't mention the other two books (one of which is mine). The implication being the other two books are trash and are scammers and swindlers.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, but merely a token sample to illustrate the nature of the discussion.Under the law of England and Wales, a defamatory statement is one which tends to lower the claimant in the estimation of right thinking members of society generally (Sim v Stretch [1936] 2 All ER 1237). The words are defamatory, identify or refer to the claimant and are published by yourselves to third parties.Legal proceedingsIn order to protect my interests I am considering proceedings against you in the High Court. These proceedings would seek remedies including but not limited to the following:substantial damages;
an injunction to restrain you from publishing the same or similar statements in the future; and
costs.
JurisdictionA defamatory statement is published at the place where it is read, heard or seen, and is not where the material was first placed on the internet. In internet cases, therefore, provided a small number of people have access to the material on the internet in England, the English courts will have jurisdiction to hear the claim against a foreign defendant (Spiliada Maritime Corp v Cansulex Ltd [1987] A.C. 460).Next stepsI am not against freedom of speech and recognise the value of fair comment. At this stage I have no desire to issue legal proceedings against you and we are keen to do all we can to avoid litigation where possible.However, in accordance with the pre-action protocol for defamation, we will desist from issuing legal proceedings provided within 14 days of the date of this letter you agree to do the following:remove from publication in their entirety the defamatory threads to prevent harm to my business;
produce an apology and a declaration that the allegations referred to are false and defamatory and cause such apology and declaration to be published in each of the forums which have given or could give reason for our complaint (such apology to be approved by us prior to publication);
provide details of recipients of advice or comments made of this nature, together with contact details for each recipient;
provide details of the number of posts made, together with website addresses;
make proposals for the payment to us of damages for the harm caused to our reputation; and
undertake never to publish defamatory content relating to me.
If the defamatory threads are not permanently removed and the above undertakings are not complied with by 9am BST on January 6th I shall take further legal advice with a view to taking steps towards the swift issue of proceedings without further notice.I draw to your attention the terms of Se

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Video link https://youtu.be/M7xronSRNEU

1/5/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

are you asking if there is a claim?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

are you asking if there is a claim for defamation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm asking if they have any sort of claim, where the claim would have to be filed, and basically if I should just ignore her.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know in the US, she would probably get dismissed. She hasn't lost money and I didn't even mention her at all. But the UK has weird libel rules. Would the suit be in the UK or US and does it have merit?

I see no claim. It would need to be filed where you/defendant is located. You can reject it or simply ignore it since they are not likely to spend legal fees to pursue a baseless case and likely trying to see if they can scare you into paying.

UK does not have jurisdiction.

I hope that is fast and acceptable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

very welcome.

Kindly rate me 5 stars

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney