My mom is in a rehab center and today I was told my husband…

Customer Question
My mom is in...

My mom is in a rehab center and today I was told my husband with parkinsons disease is not allowed to visit mom unless I am there is that legal considering the American law for disabilities

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/5/2018
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

​What is the reason given for your husband needing to be chaperoned by you?

That I don’t know. Maybe fear he might fall and sue
Can’t talk now

Hi again.

​If your husband was told that he is not allowed to visit without your chaperoning because they are prejudiced against him due to his Parkinson's, then that is certainly illegal as you suggested. But if there are legitimate reasons for requiring you to chaperone, then that is lawful. The problem here is that I don't know the reasons your husband cannot visit alone, and so I can't say whether the rehab center is acting in a lawful manner.

​If I were in your shoes, I would ask the rehab center for the exact reason your husband may not visit alone. When you have their explanation, then you will know whether it is lawful or not. If it is fear that he may fall and sue, then that is not likely lawful because they cannot treat your husband differently than anybody without Parkinson's if the rehab center is open to the public.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

I think they are afraid he’ll fall-he uses s walker. Also his friendly personality is no longer there. Thanks very much

Y​ou're quite welcome. Please let me know if you have any additional questions on this issue, and please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.