Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How much does a lawyer make for handling an estate. Is it…

Customer Question
How much does a...

How much does a lawyer make for handling an estate. Is it determined by the amount of the estate. Is it advantages for the attorney to prolong this the finalization of the estate.. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can the estate pay a realtor's fee if you present a contract on a piece of Real Estate.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 month ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

If the will/trust states how much the attorney is to make, that controls.

If the will/trust is silent, then it falls under default NC laws. In NC the fee for estates in excess of $10,000 is $40.00 plus $4.00 for each $1,000 pierce of personal property (meaning not real estate) held by the estate. The fees cannot go higher than $6,000. In addition, North Carolina statutory law provides that the attorney’s fees must be reasonable and not exceed 5% of the estate. That 5% will offset any commission.

Yes, the estate normally would pay the realtor's fee in sale of a property.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law