My father died last year in March and he left me properties…

Customer Question
Hi. My father died...

Hi. My father died last year in March and he left me properties in Ukraine. They have asked me to prove that he is my father. So I provided my birth certificate it it has my dads old name before he changed his name when he became a citizen. I need to find some sort of document that he changed his name Nd I can’t seem to figure out how. I went to immigration court and building in downtown la and told me I needed to send paperwork for the freedom act of information and they wrote me back and said I needed his Alien number and I don’t have that. Any idea where I can find a document like that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Just to clarify - did you file a FOIA (freedom of information act), and if so, they responded saying that they need his Alien Number?

Or, you have not yet filed the FOIA?

They said I needed his Alien number

To file the FOIA, or, in response to your FOIA request?

I. Response to FOIA request.
In*

I see. Okay what someone in your situation has to do (if it has not been done yet) is to file for a probationary action for hs his estate. Once probate is filed, the Executor of the estate gets something called a Letter of Testament/Administration (hereinafter "Letter"). This Letter will allow the Executor to switch over the assets from the deceased individual to whoever will own the property. It is like a "Power of Attorney," but from the Court. It gives one the power to act on the deceased's behalf.

Once this is done, one can make an appointment with INFOPASS HERE and should be able to get the Alien Number with the Letters of Testament/Administration.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.