I have a property law issue I wold like to know if there…

Customer Question
I have a property...

I have a property law issue I wold like to know if there would be any chance of a case or not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I'm aware of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Here is my question.. a divorce between mean and woman 10 years ago.. instead of woman receiving half settlement, the man and woman decided to put money into a building for investment and she was to be paid back over time (60,000 was her half of settlement). Over time she never got paid back and the building is now for sale, is she entitled to anything of the sale of the building at this point or is there too much time that has gone by. The kicker is the man(husband) gave the building to his mom when in financial trouble and she died so the building is in probate and for sale.. does she have any right to the building since she was initially the person who paid for it

Okay, let's take this in pieces. The man and woman divorced and there was a court order stating that she is supposed to receive $60k? By when?

Well he was supposed to give her 60k in divorce settlement but instead he convinced her to put it into a piece of real estate .. not sure if court order was ever done..

It would be pretty difficult to answer your question without knowing that info.

If there was a court order then that has to be followed but he can potentially argue that the statute of limitations expired for enforcement.

If she agreed to accept other terms then that would need to be followed and if it was after the court order (which it would have been) the statute of limitations would restart from that point. In Arkansas the statute of limitations for enforcement of a written contract is 5 years, while enforcement of a judgment is 10 years. The statutes of limitations can be found here: http://statelaws.findlaw.com/arkansas-law/arkansas-civil-statute-of-limitations-laws.html If I have answered your question, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. 5 stars is definitely appreciated!. It *DOES NOT* cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.