Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If a contract has no end date, is it legal? I'm in Canada,

If a contract has...

If a contract has no end date, is it legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in Canada, but the contract was signed in NJ.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you mean....filed where?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Pretty basic for now.

1/4/2018
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

What sort of contract is it exactly? Also, is this a written contract? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a written contract for film distribution. Term end date states: "one year from signing". It was signed in 2009. A clause states:
"Any sale of the project to a specific buying outlet creates an exclusive relationship with that specific outlet in perpetuity and the terms as stated on this agreement remain in full force in perpetuity. Further, each sale triggers a 3 month extension to the end of the current term(s) for the overall exclusive representation of the project and each subsequent extension adds to the Term End Date in an aggregate manner, meaning, each 3 month term, if triggered, adds to the end of the prior additional 3 month term(s), if triggered."

Thank you. There would be nothing illegal about such a clause. In general, the law confers parties with tremendous freedom when it comes to what they can agree to. If "in perpetuity" is what was agreed to, then the parties can be held to what was agreed.

I hope this answers your question. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.
Very best wishes.

LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
LegalPro54
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer