I represent a local non-profit organization, Center for

Customer Question
I represent a local...

I represent a local non-profit organization, Center for Peace Through Culture. We are looking for a lawyer with expertise in Public Education. We offer a program of Mindfulness Training to teachers, and some after-school programs for children in local public schools. We are considering merger with another non=profit, Higher Self Yoga, but we are concerned about liability and credibility issues that might come up if we are seen as being associated with a particular spiritual orientation. We need to know if this merger would jeopardize us in any way and if so what are the potential issues. We also need guidance on how to frame our relationship with Higher Self Yoga, both publically and in our bylaws, in a way that will not raise red flags for anyone who might have issues with this relationship.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

We are registered in Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. We are just doing some ground work on the proposed merger.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it for now.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Hi, after looking at your situation, this appears to me that you may be looking for very detailed legal advice that may be beyond the scope of this discussion. This site is great if you need answers to your legal questions, but it may not be the best place to get the kind of specific advice that you may need if you are looking to do a merger or an acquisition.

With that said, I will need to opt out and let another attorney take this over if they are willing to handle it. Otherwise, I would strongly recommend that you look to your local bar association for an attorney who may be able to assist you in your detailed needs.

Thank you.

I have been trying to find someone with the bar association but the website was not user friendly and I got nowhere. I googled Massachusetts Bar Association. Do you suggest a different search for a local bar association?
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as your previous contributor had to leave.

Our bar association here in MA has a very good lawyer referral service, https://www.massbar.org/public/lawyer-referral-service.

While we cannot represent anyone from this site I can tell you some things about your situation.

First off, two non-profit entities can merge together without legal implications. Second, the concerns you have are more of a business decision not a legal decision, since you are concerned how it would look to be affiliated with the spiritual group. That impact on your membership would be something your business analyst would need to determine and conduct market surveys of your membership to see their feelings about the merger.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Now I need to ask another question.
I just authorized payment of $47 via PayPal. This is confusing because there is supposed to be a 7 day free trial. How do I cancel this?

Experts are not employees of the site, so we do not know what the site does with payments or trials.

We know that a customer posts a question and we answer and get no credit unless the customer leaves positive feedback, that is what the experts know.

If you have a follow up question, use reply and we will answer it right here all under the same fee the site is charging you not under a new fee.

As far as trials or payment amounts, you would need to contact customer service about that issue, because the experts simply are not told any of that because we are users of the site like you are.

Than you

Did you have some follow up question for us?