What documents are required for death benefits. Mass. Not…

Customer Question
What documents are required...

What documents are required for death benefits

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Mass

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet my husband died Dec 30

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. What kinds of benefits are you looking for? Military? Life insurance?

His Social Security benefit. I have my but his is a larger amount

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Do you have an answer yet?

Oh my goodness. I am so so sorry about this. So, my internet crashed last night, as it has been. As a result, my question list reloads. When it reloads, it repopulates with random questions that I answered a long time ago, and newer questions, like yours, disappear inexplicably.

With that said, my apologies.

As far as the documents required for death benefits, it depends entirely on what is needed and from whom you are getting benefits. For example, if it is a private insurance company, they may only require a death certificate and identification from you saying who you are.

If it is a government entity, they may require your social security number, death certificate, and other documentation to prove that he is entitled to some benefit.

From whom are you looking to get the benefits?

Social Security, I am collecting it now but his is much more than mine.

Ok, so I was able to dig up some information that may be of some help, and it comes directly from the SSA. They say that you need some information to provide to them and this includes:

The information we need includes:

• Proof of death — either from a funeral home or death certificate;

• Your Social Security number, and the deceased worker’s SSN;

• Your birth certificate;

• Your marriage certificate, if you’re a widow or widower;

• Your divorce papers, if you’re applying as a divorced widow or widower;

• Dependent children’s Social Security numbers, if available, and birth certificates;

• Deceased worker’s W-2 forms or federal self-employment tax return for the most recent year; and

• The name of your bank and your account number so your benefits can be deposited directly into your account.