I had some belongings inside of an ex-friends car while

Customer Question
Hello, I had some...

Hello, I had some belongings inside of an ex-friends car while staying at a hotel, which I paid for and staying there we had a difference of opinion word exchange and while I was asleep, he left knowing that my things when’s theyis though which I pay for and friends the well.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Sorry I sent too early

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I actually wanted to avoid any kind of legal actions, but the individual is being intolerant and I’m fed up ofthe situation so waiting to ask for any rfights we have.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

When someone holds your property, after obtaining possession lawfully, the legal remedy is to file for a writ of replevin (called a "turnover order" in some jurisdictions) in the state and county where the property is being held. That is a petition where you ask a judge to restore possession to you of your property being held by someone else. The order to restore possession is under threat of being held in contempt. The court also has discretion to order money damages for the loss of use.

While it is possible to proceed pro se, equitable remedies can get complicated and an attorney is recommended.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Well the person from understanding is now in another state Arkansas to be exact and I’m still in Texas which is where I live. Will this change the dynamics of my going forward?

You would need to file where your property is located. If that is Arkansas then you may want to find an Arkansas attorney to represent you in this, since you are not there.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!