Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I do have a question. What to do I received a letter from…

Customer Question
Hi I do have...

Hi I do have a question. What to do I received a letter from one of the local police departments from a traffic investigator, regarding a traffic crash . what do I do now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No I don't kno yet. jus to answer some questions the letter is saying and if not failure to comply will result in arrest for leaving the scene of the accident

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The police are looking to charge you with a crime for leaving the scene. If you go there, this could result in your arrest. If you don't go there that could result the same way.

You have a constitutional right under the 5th Amendment and you are never required to submit to police interrogation when those answers that you give can be used against you. The only way you should cooperate and go down to the station to talk to the police is with a lawyer.

You can be arrested either way, if the police believe you left the scene of the crime, but if you don't answer questions, at least they won't twist things in such a way so as to make you confess to a crime.

Contact a criminal lawyer and have him or her reach out to the police. If he thinks it a good idea that you go in and speak to them, he will go with you.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney