I am starting a new business that is not yet registered. I…

Customer Question
I am starting a new...
I am starting a new business that is not yet registered. I have purchased a lot of inventory and have itemized receipts for everything. Recently a friend offered to pay for some purchases on his credit card in an informal agreement that I would repay him in a month. Two days later, he said he didn't believe I would be able to pay. A large amount of my inventory, which I paid for and is worth much more than his bill, and my photography equipment were at his house temporarily. He seized this as collateral despite not making an agreement. Can I do anything personally? I was planning to incorporate and transfer my assets and inventory. Should I do that and pursue him for the property that way?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/4/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I will try to assist you. I recommend that you report the theft to the police. Also, I recommend that you make a written demand upon him for the return of your equipment, inventory, etc. with 2 days or you will sue him personally for theft, conversion and replevin, seeking damages, treble damages, attorneys' fees and costs. You only owe him on a verbal debt agreement. He has not right to steal your personal property.

Hope that helps.

Please be sure to accept my response and post a positive rating.