I was incarcerated for over thirty-eight years and was

Customer Question
I was incarcerated for...

I was incarcerated for over thirty-eight years and was released September 12, 2016 (Unger) For about six months I could not receive any money from Social Service because I did not have a birth certificate. Once all of that was done (March 2017) I began getting money. When I went to Social Security they would not back date the money they started giving me and they only gave me $490.00 per month. In order to obtain the $ 735.00 I had to move out of my niece house. All of the men that came out under Unger that I know were given the entire amount from the beginning. My question is do I have a claim to go back and get them to give me the entire $ 245.00 per month they did not give me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

Are you receiving social security or SSDI, social security with a disability?

Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

You should try to get the full amount that you were owed. Since you are going to appeal the amount of back pay you are awarded, you should retain the services of a Social Security Disability attorney to ensure that you receive all of the back pay that you rightfully deserve. They do not charge you directly but receive their fees through the Social Security Administration.

Here is are links to highly rated disability attorneys in Maryland:

Terri Denise Mason tel(###) ###-#### http://www.terridmason.com/(Baltimore)

Peter Lawrence Casciano tel(###) ###-####***@******.*** (Silver Springs)

Lawrence Peter Demuth (###) ###-#### http://www.mrdlegal.com/about-us/attorney-profiles/lawrence-p-demuth/ (Ellicott City)

Kelly L. Mulligan tel(###) ###-#### http://www.kmulliganlaw.com/services.aspx (Bel Air)

When an individual applies for Social Security Disability benefits and is eventually awarded the benefits he has applied for, he may be entitled to back pay from the Social Security Administration (SSA). The question often arises as to how much back pay a person can receive and whether or not the SSA limits the amount of back pay a person may be entitled to.

The fact of the matter is that there is no actual limit placed by the SSA in regards ***** ***** pay. Any back pay you receive will be determined by your disability filing date. For example, if you filed in June of 2015 and weren’t approved for benefits until June of 2017 due to the lengthy appeal process, then you would be entitled to 24 months of back pay if the SSA determined that you were eligible for benefits (and had met the five-month waiting requirement) at the time of your application.

Using the scenario above, it is possible that you might also receive an additional 17 months of Social Security Disability back pay if it is proven that you were unable to work the 17 months prior to the application being filed. This means you could potentially be entitled to a total of 41 months of back pay using the above scenario. Of course, if it took more or less time to process your application, you may be entitled to more or less back pay depending on your specific circumstances.

In any regard, even though the SSA does not put a limit on the amount of back pay you can receive, you will not be able to receive more than the amount of time it takes to be approved for benefits plus a potential 17 months depending on your circumstances and the date the SSA determines you were no longer able to work. While this means that there technically is a limit to the number of months you can be compensated for, there is no actual “limit” on the amount of back pay provided by the SSA.

If you are entitled to Social Security Disability back pay, it is important to understand that there is a difference in how SSI and SSDI back pay is paid out. If you are entitled to SSDI back pay, you will receive that back pay in one lump sum. If you are entitled to SSI back pay, that back pay will be spread across three payments rather than in one lump sum.

If you disagree with the amount of back pay the SSA states that you are entitled to, you do have the right to appeal the decision. If you are going to appeal the amount of back pay you are awarded, you may want to consider retaining the services of a Social Security Disability attorney to ensure that you receive all of the back pay that you rightfully deserve.

I hope this helps.

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

Do you have another question for me? If not, please rate me. That is the only way that I get credit for the work that I have done for you.