Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in a municipality city that requires you to pay city…

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a municipality city that requires you to pay city taxes. I am behind on them and have been served with a failure to pay taxes marked M# ***** the court case. I have been paying them monthly 100 and show to court monthly in the city of silverton. I recently filed chapter 13 bankruptcy and showed up to silverton court with the filing case number ***** the magistrate says I have a criminal case against me? is a M3 a criminal case

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Ohio. only with mayors court

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What would be filed. the only case I see is in mayors court

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your question about this for us?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this a criminal case. The magistrate is saying it is

Thank you for your reply.

A failure to pay taxes can be a tax evasion case, which is a criminal offense and can be a misdemeanor or felony based on the amount of taxes due. So, yes, if it is classified as an M3 case, it is a 3rd degree misdemeanor and you need to get a local attorney or public defender to represent you in the case and to get to the prosecutor to see if they can convince them to dismiss the criminal case and set up a payment plan for you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney