Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My landlord (who is also my neighbor) was recently visited…

Customer Question
My landlord (who is...

My landlord (who is also my neighbor) was recently visited by immigration police. Their LLC's bank account has been frozen. They are asking for the rent to be paid in cash. They say they will provide a receipt. Is it safe for me as a rental client to do pay my rent, nearly $3k in cash? Also, is it at all illegal for me to do so?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

Washington I would assume. This is where we live and the address of the LLC.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure how to answer that question. I haven't filed or reported anything. I just know this information because I saw the immigration police at their house and then when the wire transfer didn't go through for December's rent they told me their account frozen and I wrote them a personal check for rent that they still have not cashed. Now they want cash for January rent.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Legally you may pay them cash. There is no law that prohibits that. You definitely need to get receipts for your own protection.

If you are uncomfortable handling that much cash - which is understandable for personal safety reason, perhaps you can persuade them to accept a prepaid VISA card or similar form of payment.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer