Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If I have a protection order issued against me, how can I…

Customer Question
If I have a...

If I have a protection order issued against me, how can I get my personal property back. Boyfriend put order against me. I only want my personal property back from the home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes an emergency protective order was issued. I have not had any contact with boyfriend. Order expires Jan 3 at 11:59pm. But he extended the order. I only want my personal property from the home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When I went to the court house to see what I needed to do get my things back and they indicated that boyfriend made an extention of the order. Can't someone like my son or mother go get my things?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, a relative can go on your behalf to pick up your items.

Usually even in the case of a protective order you are given one opportunity within the first 48 hours to go accompanied by the police to the residence to retrieve your items.

I'm not sure whether that was written in and permitted in your case, but in any event yes, a relative or friend can go on your behalf to retrieve your belongings.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones