My mom loaned my ex 40g to pay for equipments and 2 month’s…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My mom loaned...
Second opinion] My mom loaned my ex 40g to pay for equipments and 2 month’s rent for our second business. He paid her back 10g but refuses to acknowledge that he owes her the rest. I only have text messages of our conversations. He doesn’t deny that he owes her, and keeps saying pay her back by selling the businesses. It’s money that my mom loaned personally and not money from the business. We were in business together but now we are split up. We had two businesses together and he kept one & I kept one when we split up. He has the business that owes my mom money. Do I have legal rights to sue him?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You do not have any claim to sue him for a loan made to him by your mom, but she could sue him.

A verbal agreement can be as enforceable as a written one. They are just more difficult to prove.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If it’s his words against hers and mine, how will I go about it? The loan was made in cash.

She can use her bank statements and subpoena his bank statements, as well.

Also, you said there were text messages. Those are evidence too.

Many cases are one person's word against the other's.

You just have to present the evidence you have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney