I was urged to settle my "Worker's Comp" claim when I was on…

Customer Question
I was urged to settle...
I was urged to settle my "Worker's Comp" claim when I was on heavy pain medication after two back to back "Low Back" surgeries. I did the same with Social Security instead of fighting for my disability benefits. Can a contract be legally binding if one party is under the influence of drugs or alcohol? I see that I made a mistake, My condition has not improved and I have been on Blood Thinners for almost 5 years. I was a civilian contractor working in Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan when I was injured.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. Getting out of a contract can be very difficult. With that said, there are some things that you would want to consider that the law recognizes as defenses to the enforcement of a contract. One of the defenses is capacity, meaning that a person who is mentally ill, under the age of 18, under the influence of drugs/alcohol can have the contract voided. This means that you should probably advise the other party that you were under the influence of drugs and alcohol at the time you signed the agreement, then the contract is going to be unenforceable so if they give you the amount that they claim you're entitled to, you can reject that amount and sue for breach of contract.

What other questions did you have for me today?