Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was referred to your Legal Representation for Tenants from…

Customer Question
I was referred to...

I was referred to your Legal Representation for Tenants from Tenants Rights Group.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

My question is, My January 2018 rent is due. I have not paid it yet. My landlord has filed an eviction notice and hired a lawyer to have me evicted from my current resident. I have lived at 9234 Sally Lane - Apt GW, Schiller Park, IL since August 27, 2013. She verbally said that she does not want me to sign a lease. If I pay $800 a month starting in January 2018, I can stay at this apartment. However, she has already filed an eviction notice to have me evicted. Should I pay my rent, or start looking for an apartment I can afford. I also wanted to mention that I am 56 years old. I am trying to find an apartment that will accommodate for people like myself that are over 55 years old and have a low income. I also would like to stay in Schiller Park.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. I am still waiting for an answer. Every 1st Saturday of the month, they come to the building where I reside and do a preventive maintenance check for bugs or spiders. My landlord will be at my apartment this Saturday, January 6, 2018. I was told not to pay my rent since my landlord has already filed an eviction notice on me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to find an apartment that is within my budget of $600 to $650 a month and I can still live in Schiller Park, IL.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 1 month ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. The site does not provide legal representation but we can answer any questions which you may have.

Tina, Lawyer