Can cops relay information regarding 911 call about health…

Customer Question
Can cops relay information...

Can cops relay information regarding 911 call about health issues or minor complaints to other neighbors

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Ca we have a retired police who denies he has a police scanner yet responds to all calls in neighbor hood seems to talk to health care workers and cop

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

About the retired cop

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i just fell that this person is responding and inserting himself where he does not belong like he is the top cop of or neighbor hood and i was a nurse and aware of hippa. he seems to take sides and give advice

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

you may

So, if I understand your situation correctly, someone is getting information about 911 calls from the police, even though they have nothing to do with it, correct?

he is a retired policeman who has a scanner, which is allowed but to respond to all complaints this is insane. it is ok if it threat to the neighbor 6hood but is this not the real polices job

I see what you mean. Generally, 911 calls are not considered private and they can usually be shared with members of the public, including news media. The main issue is going to be if a) this person learns of this information and b) disseminates it to other people. you may have a cause of action for public disclosure of private facts. This occurs when a person publicly discloses private facts about someone that a person would find reasonably offensive.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to that person, advising them to not share any information they learn from the 911 calls. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

You may also want to make a complaint with the police department as well regarding this, advising them that they are sharing information about members of the public and it's serving no real law enforcement benefit. It may not be the best option, but it's one that can help put an end to this.

What other questions did you have for me today?