I wanted to ask a lawyer what suggestions are and why

Customer Question
Hi I wanted to...

Hi I wanted to ask a lawyer what suggestions are and why lawyers object to other lawyers about leading a witness.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I would like to know what psychological crime is?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient while I type your reply

Per the laws of Evidence, a witness must testify for himself -- in his own words -- on direct examination. A lawyer is not allowed to suggest what the answer to the question will be by phrasing the question a certain way so that the witness knows the answer to give. Wording the question in such a way that the witness knows the answer is called "leading the witness."

Proper on direct examination: On January 1, 2017, at 11 AM what happened to you?

Leading: Weren't you attacked by the defendant on January 1, 2017 at 11 AM?

The picture changes on cross-examination. The lawyer on cross is allowed to suggest answers to the other party's witness because the rules of evidence allow for that.

As for what are suggestions and what psychological crime is, these are not legal terms, and you would need to put those in context so that I could understand how they would apply. If you get back to me clarifying how these terms were used, I'll be happy to add to my answer without additional cost to you.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.