I paid to break a lease, paid all my dues and now the

Customer Question
I paid to break...

I paid to break a lease, paid all my dues and now the property management company sent me a bill for $1100 in damages (I was only there for 6 months) They claimed to have to replace the entirety of carpet and vinyl of the entire apartment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No They called today saying I owe them money and wanted to work out a payment plan

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You reached an agreement and landlord cannot now seek more funds. Even if there was no agreement, landlord cannot charge you for improvement and renovations, which is what it is seeking to do here. You may reject their demand on those grounds.

This is not a landlord. This is property management reaching out to me from the apartment complex I lived in March-Sept 2017. They say the bill is for cleaning expenses and damages. Supposedly they had given us "brand new carpet" with visible staining and we noted this on our walk through. They replaced the entire carpet AFTER we moved out and sent us the bill $1100 bill from the vendor for "heavy duty cleaning" and recarpeting 1000sq ft

the answer remains the same as to the management company.

at most they could have charged for a cleaning, but even then, needed to raise that beforehand. You have an agreement and that binds both sides.

Here, the bill is excessive and untimely, and there is no evidence that was necessary or damage caused by you.

Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, you seem to have opted out the previous contributor. Did you have some additional questions you needed answered?

Nope, just need a second opinion.

Thank you for your reply.

Generally, we have a second opinion button where customers can post their question for a second opinion and the experts can get proper credit for time spent with customers by the customer then leaving positive feedback for the expert.

However, once the management company agrees to settle a breach of the lease and charged you for doing so, then they have no grounds charge anymore money for the breach of the lease. However, if there was actual damage done to the property, then they could pursue that damage, but if this was ordinary wear and tear you would not be liable for that damage. They have to prove you caused the damage to hold you liable for that damage. If you did not cause the damage, then they cannot charge you for it.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Should I hire an attorney or fight the creditor? What steps should I take now?

Thank you for your reply.

I would hire a local attorney and sue them for breach of contract because that is the only way to fight them. They cannot collect money from you for alleged damages for ordinary wear and tear.