I recently moved into a group home. I ama high level quad…

Customer Question
I recently moved into...

I recently moved into a group home. I ama high level quad due to a spinal cord injury. There are 7 of us living in this group home and all 7 of us require the use of a wheelchair for our mobility. However all entrances to this facility are not in compliance with ADA standards and I’m very concerned because there is no accessible entrance/exit to this home. What are the legal requirements for wheelchair accessible that apply to group homes? My major concern is if there is a fire or other emergency that requires us to quickly exit the facility I we are unable to evacuate without significant assistance. Please understand that there is only one staff on duty at any given time. Please advise. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Chandler, Arizona.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of. I would like to know what the requirements are so if a complaint is filed, I know what I can ask for.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not necessarily. I’m just oncerned for our safety.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your question for us about this issue?

My question is in my original contact.

Thank you for your reply. I guess I cannot help you because what you think is there is not. Best wishes, I will opt out and leave this for some other contributor since you refuse to answer my question.

I don’t understand your response. Is the group home required to have a wheelchair accessible entrance/exit?