My boyfriend of 3 years told me this morning that I need to…

Customer Question
My boyfriend of 3 years...
My boyfriend of 3 years told me this morning that I need to find a different place to live and that I can come back and get a few things peacefully. I need to know what my legal rights are since he is the homeowner and I have been there for almost three and a half years.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, because you are staying with your boyfriend in his place, you are going to be considered the tenant, and he the landlord. This means that you have the same rights as any other tenant despite your personal relationship. You do not need to have paid rent to be considered a tenant. This generally means that he has to give you at least 30 days notice in writing before you have to leave the premises. He cannot just ask you to leave and keep you out as that would be an unlawful eviction. He cannot forcibly remove you from the property unless he has a court order that can be enforced by the sheriff.

This means that he cannot lock you out or do anything to keep you off the property until then. Otherwise, you can sue him for an unlawful eviction in a state court.

What other questions did you have for me today?