I paid a contractor to remodel my restroom. He gutted the…

Customer Question
I paid a contractor...

I paid a contractor to remodel my restroom. He gutted the restroom and I have to call him for him to do anything. He has not returned in two weeks. What shall I do. He took my money and its been three months.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The Cashier Check was for $14,250.00. He has gone ghost.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/3/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. You can start by calling the police and speaking with them, to see if there is a history of this person doing this. If he is taking money and failing to do the work, his action could be criminal. If there is no evidence of that intent, the next step would be to send him a demand letter, via certified mail, advising that the work needs to be completed and he needs to return by X date. If he fails to do so or respond, you would need and want to sue him at that point, for the money paid. You should have NEVER given him a cashiers check for this amount, which was a red flag to start with. He should have been paid for gutting the restroom and the rest in installments. Plus, you should have been able to issue him a check from your account and he likely demanded this so you would not cancel it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!