Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son is a Union Welder and is on the road working. He's…

Customer Question
My son is a...

My son is a Union Welder and is on the road working. He's been in a relationship for 8 years and they have a 4 year old daughter together. He's not sure how they will classify his relationship with the Mother. She worked when they got together but then once their daughter was born, she's been staying at home. He has his own home that's free and clear and she's had a home that was owned by her and her ex-husband. He wants out of the relationship, so what' his next step? Thank you, ***** *****(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm sorry, it's South Carolina.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The main questions are the custody issues and property, too.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Sorry for the delay. I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation.

Are your son and his daughter's mother legally married?

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I believe your concern may be that since SC is one of the states that still do recognize common law marriage, that your son may be considered married?

Do you know whether:

(1.) him and his girlfriend had the intent to be married (even without obtaining a license), OR

(2.) whether they told other people that they were a married couple (as opposed to a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship)

Those factors would have to be present for his marriage to be considered a common law marriage.

I'll wait to hear back from you and we'll take it from there, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered. Think of this more as a back and forth conversation. Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!

Tina, Lawyer